Friday, January 16, 2009

Disney Pixar Cars - MattyCollector.com Exclusive Display Case Special Sneak Peak

When I went to Comic-con last year, the first thing I discussed with the people at Mattel was how they needed to produce an "Official" Cars Display Case. We talked about it at length, and the reality of one being made and available is drawing ever nearer! Here, as an Exclusive Alternator Valley "Special Sneak Peak," is a Preview of the Cars Display Case that would be a MattyCollector.com Exclusive!


Let me tell you about it in detail...

  1. There will hopefully be three (3) Exclusive Chase/Special Character Cars that will come with this case. I've suggested they be numbered and truly EXCLUSIVE.
  2. It will be made to accommodate the Cars 1:55th scale die cast toys.
  3. It measures 32 inches wide, by 24 inches tall, by 3 inches deep. It will hold approximately 54 full sized Cars, or two small Cars characters in one compartment. The capacity may be increased to approximately 75 to 80 Cars by paring up your pittys and Movie Moments characters such as Flick & Flea.
  4. Each compartment measures 5 inches wide by 3 inches tall. I measured Red to be sure he'd fit, and he has plenty of room. Even small Al Oft will fit! The only character that won't fit will be Barney Stormin'. You'll just have to sit him on top with some Velcro.
  5. The Cars Logo may be frosted, silk-screened or a clear label on the back wall of the case. Frosting seems to be out from what I've been told, I suggested silk-screening at the minimum, I don't feel a label is classy enough.
  6. The Full Color Graphic at the top will actually be above the compartments and be attached to the top of the case. The cool thing is it will be printed on a rigid material and will be able to be interchanged.
  7. The case will be made of plexi, it will have a hanging wire and come with the hardware to hang it, it will be hinged at the top and open upward, and can also be displayed by simply standing it up.
  8. The Edition Size has not been determined, but the number of 750 has been discussed. I have urged them to increase the Edition Size to 2000.
  9. A price of $300 to $400 has been discussed. I told them that the three (3) Exclusive Cars would be well worth $300 alone!
  10. It will be available in the United States and INTERNATIONALLY!
So, if you have yet to vote in one of my polls, I urge you to do so this time! The poll is a two (2) part question and needs your two (2) answers. First, indicate the Maximum you'd pay for an "Official" Cars Display Case as presented, and Second, indicate how many you'd like to purchase if allowed.

Also, I encourage you to add your Comments to this article. Your input may very well determine how the final product turns out!

http://CarsDieCastToys.Blogspot.com

11 comments:

pauldono said...

This would be perfect. I would buy 2, one for each of my sons. I love the exclusives, the detail and desperately need a display case.
I would pay $400 for Each if they had the 3 exclusives and was limited to 2000 or under. Matty, Mattel, Ken, if you make it I will buy... NOW, pre-sale. Make sure you email me, I will give you my number once received if you decide to do this. Keep me in the loop!! pauldono@gmail.com

thanks,


Paul D

Anonymous said...

Outrageously overpriced. I'm sure people will buy it nonetheless.

The bit about $300 for three 'exclusive' chase Cars is equally questionable.

Sabrina A. said...

I agree that it's definitely overpriced...I think $150-200 would be a LITTLE more reasonable.

I also agree that "$300 for 3 "exclusives" is ridiculous also.

orlandog ken said...

Let me strengthen my assertion about the three (3) Exclusive Cars. Say, Dustin Mellows was done all "Plussed" up with a Rangsberg finish, Rubber tires, Number Stamped and only an Edition of 1000? That would be a pretty sought after Car, wouldn't you say? How about a Raw Stamped Car that was not finished? That would certainly be different and rare. What about a plussed up Frank?!! The fact that the three (3) would be Exclusive, and such a low edition, in my opinion make them instantly valuable! Then you get the great case! Easily worth the $300.00 to me, and I believe most collectors.

turtlegirl said...

i would want at least 2 and would pay between $300 and $400 for them . please email me with any further info. we would be very interested....thanks!
turtlegirl76@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I bought a case very similar to the one pictured for $50. It didn't have the Disney Cars logos and of course, no exclusives, but an extra $300?

$100 for a single Car (plussed Dustin Mellows included) would take most of us out of the game.

Anonymous said...

Love the Case. Love the idea. Love the exclusives.

Problem is, there are over 100 cars and counting. This forces you to buy multiples of this Display if you wish to GARAGE the entire collection.

Paying $300-400 multiple times just isn't in the budget of most hard working families.

I would love to buy 2 or 3, but at that price, I would be lucky to buy just one. :(

orlandog ken said...

Let me address some things for all of you to consider. First, believe me when I tell you that a lot of thought goes into designing and pricing something like this Case. I brought up the issue about making a case that could hold 100+ Cars, the problem is Mattel's costs would balloon, and your price would rise to $600.00! Second, don't forget that I mention in my article that the capacity may really be around 75 to 80 Cars. The compartments are large and can hold more than one Pitty, multiple small Cars such as Chuki, Yeti, Mike and Sully, Flik and Flea etc. So, the capacity in fact is pretty darn good. Finally, you take the three (3) Exclusive tripped out Cars, consider the super low edition size, and slap them on Ebay and I'd bet they'd go for well over $100 each! The Case is a great buy at $300.00 with those three (3) Exclusive Cars and it being an "Official" Cars product! Sign me up for TWO!!

Anonymous said...

I would NEVER in a million years be able to afford one of these for 300$ What are you thinking!? Don't you want these to be available for everyone? I would pay 100-200. 300 is ok for SOTS with 36 cars but for 3 cars and a hunk of plastic!? NO WAY!

Anonymous said...

Although it is a neat concept and I'm sure it will sell out whatever the price, and I would certainly be interested in buying one (depending on the $$$), I'm guessing it will probably be another case of the few getting the majority of them, and then makring them up even further on the aftermarket, as we see with the limited release Cars on the market. Quite frankly, it's gotten pretty tiresome.

Sorry to be a nay-sayer, as I really loved the movie and the collectibles,but that has just been my experience of late. I'm off my soap box now. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey there Dudes!

I would be sure to want to pick one of these bad boys up for my little guy! If you threw in a Chase type car or two then I would have to take two. Unfortunately the 300$ price tag is way stiff.

So bring it down to a cool bill and we got a deal!

Best of luck with it and keep me up to speed for sure!!!

wratereBuckland-blowouts!